Thursday, February 26, 2009

Leftovers-the remix

My family does not like leftovers. Very seldom can I successfully re-present a meal, without the "not again" facial expressions and the "is there anything else in the fridge?" Don't get me wrong, there are a good handful of times it's okay, but for those meals that last more than an extra day, those are torture, lol.

So for me, remixing leftovers and having them be something totally different, without wasting food, is a great thing to do, yet a mind boggler. I'm still looking for great ideas but I did experiment with my kabobs days after I grilled them. I just happened to have some leftover rice in the fridge from a previous meal, and I took the kabobs off the stick, and tossed them in the rice. Talk about YUMMY! It made a sort of asian inspired dish, and the vegetables and pineapple with the rice was very good! I did it with both the leftover chicken and leftover shrimp.

For the lasagna, I did get around to doing my garlic bread the next day (although I'm late posting the blog about it). You would think the bread wouldn't make a big difference to the meal the next day, as it still is leftovers, but it did revitalize my meal all together. The recipe is below, again, compliments of Paula Deen:

Garlic Bread

  • 1 head garlic, unpeeled
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup (2-sticks) butter, softened
  • 3 tablespoons minced parsley leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1loaf sourdough bread, split horizontally

First I chopped the top of the head of garlic off, and placed it in a square of foil and drizzled the olive oil on top and then sealed the foil around the garlic. I placed it in the oven for 30 minutes on 425. It made my kitchen smell amazing...it's something about garlic, I don't know what it is, but it always smells enticing to me!

After the garlic was done, it made it really soft. I was able to grab it, and literally squeeze all the soft garlic out into a mixing bowl. It is sticky though, so be sure to watch for that garlic outer layer (I don't know what it's called) that may come off and get into your mixture. I had to pull a couple out myself. I then added the butter, parsley, pepper and salt. I mixed it up really good, which will take a while to get it an even consistency. After, I cut my bread in half, and spread the mixture on top.

Photobucket

I had a bunch of the spread left over, so I placed it in a baggy and stuck it in the freezer (no sense in wasting it!) Not sure if I got the garlic completely soft, cause there were chunks of it that didn't completely "smush" well, as you can see from the picture. I stuck it in the oven on broil for a couple of minutes. You really have to watch it, it doesn't take long to cook at all at this point!

Photobucket

Some of the garlic actually became crispy, kind of hard to explain, but there were no longer any chunks of garlic left. I then reheated the lasagna, which by the way, gets better with age, and put the garlic bread on the plate with it.

Photobucket

Assuming Paula knew exactly what she was talking about, I followed the recipe to the tee. HOWEVER, while the bread had a good flavor, it was too buttery. I think I could've cut the butter in half, and it still would've been good OR just use a thicker peice of bread to put it on. I actually found sourdough bread in the bakery at my grocery store, so unless she was speaking of a thicker sourdough bread, this bread seemed to soak all the ingredients in it. There was a bunch of spread left, so I froze it for future garlic bread endeavors. It was easy to make, and I'll probably never buy frozen garlic bread again, because it was really tasty, but I know for sure next time, I'm going to use less butter!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/zesty-roasted-garlic-bread-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment