Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Resturaunt Inspired Chicken Alfredo Experiment

Today I decided to experiment with on of my favorite italian dishes, breaded chicken with a creamy white alfredo sauce. I've had it a handful of times at various resturants, and never tried to make it at home until today.

First, I took a pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They come about thee to four in a pack, so I decided to half them to make them thinner; which for me yielded 6 halves total. I took two eggs, slightly scrambled them in a bowl, and placed parmesan bread crumbs in another bowl. I took each half and dipped them first in the egg, careful to coat each side, and then dredged them in the breadcrumbs to coat also. I placed each on in a glass pan, that was already sprayed with non-stick spray.


Photobucket

I put it all in the oven on 375 degrees and baked for about 30-45 minutes. I'm putting a varying time, cause it really depends on the thickness of your chicken breasts for how long it takes. It took mine about 37 minutes to cook completely, without being dried out. SO WATCH IT CAREFULLY!!! Unfortunately, I'm the queen of drying out meat, so I had to learn to watch over my food as much as possible.
Photobucket
The chicken came out on the crispy side, and was really tasty as is (as you can tell, I took a piece off to try it, lol)
In the meanwhile, while the chicken was baking, I boiled my favorite noodles I thought would compliment the meal. I don't think it matters what kind you use. The closer my chicken got to being finished, I started warming up my creamy alfredo sauce. I decided to use:

Photobucket

There are a bunch of different name brands for alfredo sauce, but I was drawn to this one because it was on sale, AND it had mushrooms in it. I'm a mushroom fiend, lol.

As a side dish, I steamed some mixed veggies, which in my opinion, from my extensive "Top Chef" (Bravo TV reality show) exposure, gives nice color and texture to the meal.

Photobucket

Quick and easy!!

Photobucket

kid's plate

Photobucket

adult plate

Overall, this was very easy, and very tasty! Next time, however, I'd probably try to heat up the sauce in the baking dish during the last couple of minutes of baking, so that way the whole meal can taste integrated. While it was very good, it tasted like noodles topped with chicken and then topped with alfredo sauce. It didn't taste blended like you would taste at a restuarant. I was nervous about cooking the chicken too long, which is why I thought heating it up on the stove top was a good idea. But timing, obviously, is the key. So try it at home, or give me your variation of this yummy dish!

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy!! I made chicken alfredo a few weeks ago, but made my own sauce it was good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you made your own sauce???? OMG! you gotta share your recipe!!

    ReplyDelete